Friday, March 29, 2013


A Local Lesson in Pre-cycling:

It takes a village, or should I say, it takes persistence to be part of the solution...

How does 30 years of persistence sound to you?

Janet Wente (L, with help from Rachel Organ, R) of Northern Exposure Gallery in Kodiak has practiced the 4R's (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rethink) since 1983. 

Here's how she does it:
  • Donates strips of foam core to the Kodiak High School drafting program (saving the school district hundreds of dollars, she says)
  • Gives away mat board to all schools, day care centers and summer programs.
  • Recycles and re-uses all cardboard and metal clips from incoming orders of supplies.
Janet practices pre-cycling, too. "Before I take something to Threshold Recycling Services, I stop and ask myself, 'is there another use for this material?'"

Janet adds, "I think all businesses should consider pre-cycling."

No comments: